Healing occurs in the mind and soul as much as it does in the body. When you enroll for the Clinical Pastoral Education Program at CoxHealth, you are investing in your spiritual growth by providing comfort and healing for those who need it most. CoxHealth partners with the Institute for Clinical Pastoral Training (ICPT) to offer Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) for seminary students, ordained ministers or deacons, chaplains and others in the ministry profession. This program is open to all faiths and offers hands-on clinical training and direct patient involvement.
The program is a paid, one-year residency that begins in the fall. CoxHealth is the only site-based integrated ICPT Residency and once completed, you will have four units of CPE. ICPT is accredited by the Department of Education and accepted by the National Association of Veteran Affairs Chaplains.
Clinical training will include:
- Direct patient interaction
- Working with different faith groups
- Experience in crisis intervention
- Individual goals and supervision
- Experience with end-of-life ministry
- Supporting individuals and families in crisis
- Study and the application of ethics in health care
- Learning to advocate for patients
- Understanding the role of the health care chaplain