Healing occurs in the mind and soul as much as it does in the body. When you enroll for the Clinical Pastoral Education Program at CoxHealth, you are investing in your spiritual growth by providing comfort and healing for those who need it most. CoxHealth works with the Institute for Clinical Pastoral Training (ICPT) to offer Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) for seminary students, ordained ministors or deacons, chaplains and others in the ministry profession. This program is open to all faiths and offers hands-on clinical training and direct patient involvement.
Numerous start date options are available throughout the year. See detailed schedule options on the ICPT website. Participants will complete online classes through ICPT and will complete clinical hours on-site at CoxHealth. Residents can complete up to four units of clinical pastoral education. After a resident completes three units at CoxHealth, we will pay for the fourth unit.
Clinical training will include:
- Direct patient interaction
- Working with different faith groups
- Experience in crisis intervention
- Individual goals and supervision
- Experience with end-of-life ministry
- Supporting individuals and families in crisis
- Study and the application of ethics in health care
- Learning to advocate for patients
- Understanding the role of the health care chaplain
Visit the Institute for Clinical Pastoral Training website to find out more about program requirements and enroll.