Enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace
In the Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace, you can compare plans, find options to lower your costs and buy health insurance.
What is Health Insurance?
Health insurance helps you pay for medical care and can protect you from high health care costs, such as emergency room visits and hospital stays. These bills can add up quickly and often cause people to go into debt or even bankruptcy.
There are important things to look at when buying health insurance:
- The health services the plan covers.
- How much you'll pay for the plan - your monthly premiums.
- How much you'll pay for things such as doctor visits and prescription medicines - cost-sharing.
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a website where you can compare insurance plans, and buy the plan that best fits your needs. Private insurance companies offer health plans sold in the marketplace.
You can use the Marketplace if you're an individual or family who doesn't have access to affordable coverage through work.
Special Enrollment Periods
If you miss open enrollment and have certain life changes, you may qualify for a special enrollment period to start your coverage sooner.
Life changes that can qualify you for a special enrollment period:
- Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child for foster care
- Getting married
- Losing health coverage, including a job-based plan; Medicaid, CHIP or Medicare; or a student health plan
- Losing coverage through a family member's death, divorce or legal separation, or change in dependent status.