CoxHealth's cardiothoracic surgeons are experts in providing a full range of cardiovascular surgical services.
Sometimes, surgery is the best treatment option for your heart disease or condition. Our surgeons provide optimal outcomes for our patients by working closely with our experienced surgical and critical care staff, as well as cardiopulmonary rehab when it's time to begin planning discharge. Your provider will provide a referral if you need surgery.
Surgical services include, but are not limited to:
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery - The surgeons use this treatment option for those who have severe coronary heart disease. Surgeons are able to bypass multiple coronary arteries during one surgery if needed.
- Aneurysm and aortic dissection repair and replacement - This treatment depends on the location of the aneurysm or the dissection.
- Valve replacement and repair - Our surgeons perform aortic and mitral valve repairs and replacements. These procedures can help to restore blood flow, reduce symptoms, prolong life and help preserve the function of your heart muscle.
- Surgical treatment for arrhythmia - Surgery is usually done when other treatments have failed to treat arrhythmia. Surgical ablation is major surgery that requires general anesthesia. The surgeon opens your chest to reach your heart and destroys or removes the tissue causing the arrhythmia.
- Surgery for atrial fibrillation (AFib) - Surgery may be used to restore normal heart rhythm to help prevent stroke due to cardiac arrhythmia. The surgeon may use different methods to create scar tissue in the areas of the heart causing abnormal signals. The scar tissue disrupts the abnormal signals and may stop AFib from occurring.
- Removal of cardiac tumors - Surgery may be done to remove abnormal growths in the heart or heart valves.