Open & Ready to See You
At the new Cox Monett Hospital, you’ll find all the care you need in one place, close to home. At our new 100,000 square foot facility, you’ll find a full-service, Level 4 stroke and STEMI center emergency department, attached physician clinics, on-site surgery, sleep medicine, radiology with in-house MRI and a 64-slice CT scanner, pharmacy and diabetes care, as well as enhanced women’s care with 3D mammography and labor and delivery. The same five-star care you’re used to – at our new five-star location.
History of Cox Monett
Monett's hospital dates back to 1928, when local physician and World War I veteran Dr. William West opened an 18-bed hospital in Monett. Dr. West dedicated the majority of his life to medicine and the community. He helped establish the American Legion chapter in Monett and was a Mason and a member of About Ben Adhem Shrine at Springfield. When he decided to retire, he donated the hospital to the Vincentian Sisters of Charity so it could continue serving the community. The hospital operated as St. Vincent's until it was acquired by CoxHealth in 1993 and the name changed to Cox Monett.
The current building was built in 1953 and has gone through numerous renovations over the years, including the addition of a physician's clinic in 1974 and a large renovation project in 1998 that included a new emergency department. The largest renovation and expansion project thus far happened in 2001 and included reinstating obstetric services and expanding and modernizing the medical-surgical unit. While the hospital has served the community well for many years, an updated and expanded facility will help us continue providing vital health care services with a focus on quality and innovation, as well as helping attract more providers to Monett. The new hospital is a key part of our mission to ensure rural communities have access to the health care they need, especially in critical, time-sensitive situations.
Cox Monett Hospital - Fun Facts>
- Total project size = 100,000 sf
- 25 bed hospital
- 18 Med/Surg Patient Rooms
- 7 Labor/Delivery Rooms
- 42 exam rooms
- Groundbreaking Ceremony = May 1, 2019
- Official start of building construction (foundations) = September 3, 2019
- Topping Out Ceremony = February 14, 2020
95,940 cy of dirt was cut/filled to create the building pad and parking lots
- 6,200 tons of asphalt placed
- 167,863 square feet of asphalt roads and parking lots
- 326 number of parking spots
- 2,765 cy of concrete poured for the building
- 345 concrete truck deliveries
- Could pour approximately 35,945 lineal feet or 6.8 miles of 5’ wide sidewalk. Enough to have a sidewalk from the existing Monett Hospital to the new Monett Hospital and back again.
- 510 tons of rebar and structural steel in the building
- Weight of approximately 255 cars
- 1,126 squares of steel roof decking in the building
- Just over 500,000 sf of gypsum board installed in the building
- Enough to cover the entire runway at the Monett Regional Airport
- 314,000 lineal feet of metal studs installed in the building = 59 miles
- Enough metal studs to reach Cox South from the new Cox Monett location
- 667,000 screws installed for framing and drywall
- 90,000 pounds of sheet metal duct work
- 20,300 lineal feet of duct work
- Approximately 800,000 lineal feet of wire installed = 151 miles
- Enough wire to stretch from new Cox Monett Hospital to Kansas City, as the crow flies
24,000 lineal feet of data cable installed = 4.5 miles
Cox Monett Hospital Milestones>
Momentum Campaign Launches
The Momentum Campaign launched in January 2019 to support the new hospital. Donors can invest in the future of health care in their community, be recognized for their generosity and share in the pride of helping advance care in the region. All gifts are fully tax-deductible. Contact the CoxHealth Foundation for more information.
Construction Crews Begin Moving Dirt
On March 11, 2019, crews began moving dirt to level the field in preparation for construction.
CoxHealth Breaks Ground on New Cox Monett Hospital
The groundbreaking ceremony took place on Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 10 a.m. as CoxHealth and Monett community leaders broke ground on the new Cox Monett Hospital. In addition to CoxHealth employees and leadership, many community members attended to show their support.
Momentum Campaign Receives Three $1-Million Gifts
The Cox Monett Hospital Momentum Campaign received three separate gifts of $1 million each. All funds donated to the campaign are dedicated to the construction of the new hospital. These donations brought the campaign total to $4.6 million as of August 2019.
Crew Begins Pouring Concrete
On September 5, 2019, crews began pouring concrete, marking the official start of building the new hospital.
New Hospital Opens
The new Cox Monett Hospital opened at 6 p.m. on January 22, 2021.