We strive to collect resources to support the areas of patient care and the professional work and research and education of our physicians, employees and students.
Who May Use our Libraries
CoxHealth physicians, employees, students, patients and their families may use CoxHealth Libraries.Students - It is important for students to realize that part of their educational process is to perform their own literature searches and to retrieve and/or photocopy their own materials. As with most academic settings, general direction to research and locating resources is permissible.
Patients & Community - Patients, families, and the community are welcome to use library resources in-house during regular library hours. Due to the technical nature of our collection, the following patient-oriented libraries may be more suitable for meeting consumer health information needs:
- Joyce Schwandt Library (The Women's Center)
- Hartman Library and Resource Center (Wheeler Heart and Vascular Center)
- Allenbrand Resource Center and Library (Hulston Cancer Center)
- Professional reference librarians are available to assist in obtaining health care information for CoxHealth physicians, employees, students, patients and their families.
- Computers are available at each library to access books, journals, databases and other electronic resources. This access is also available from computers on the Cox network, including the computer labs at Cox College.
- Training in use of library resources, and orientations to the Libraries are available for individuals or groups. Contact us to schedule training appointments.
Literature Searching Services
- Health care professionals may request a literature search for patient care or hospital business.
- Requests may be made by e-mail, telephone, in person, or submitted online using the Literature Search Request form.
- A bibliography of applicable resources will be provided. You may request reprints from the bibliography or independently located resources.
- Requests for reprints may be made by mail, e-mail, telephone, in person, or submitted online using either the Journal Article Request form or Book Request form.
- The CoxHealth Libraries will make every attempt to obtain reprints of requested materials. Reprints will be obtained from in-house resources or through Interlibrary Loan.
- Preference for delivery of materials is selected by the user. Options include e-mail, library pick-up or interoffice mail.
- Books must be picked-up.
- A completed Library User Application must be on file with the Libraries before library services may be used.
- Each request for service must supply the information's intended use. (See Information Needed to Process Request form).
The Libraries comply with U.S. Copyright Laws.
A Library User Application must be on file to check out books. A current CoxHealth identification badge must be visible to library staff before books may be checked out from the Libraries.
Checkout periods vary depending on the type of material:
- General collection items = two weeks
- Reserve books = overnight, or as specified
- Reference books = in-library use only
- Journals = in-library use only
Placing Holds on Materials
Holds may be placed on all circulating items by contacting the Library.
Renewals may be made in person, by phone, or e-mail provided the materials are not overdue or on hold for another library user.
Materials may be returned to the North or South Library in-person, or in the book drop outside the North Library. Fines are charged for overdue materials as follows:
- General collection items = $ .25 per day
- Reserve materials = $1.00 per day
- Interlibrary loan materials = $1.00 per day
The Libraries accept gifts of books, journals and related materials. Permanent retention of a donated item is not guaranteed. Donations may be retained, traded with other libraries, or added to the ongoing book sale at the North Library.
Materials no longer needed for the library collection are sold at the North Library.
Medical staff, resident physicians, administrators and authorized personnel approved by the Library director have after-hour access to use materials in the libraries via their approved Cox ID card.