Purpose of Research Guide
This research guide has been created to assist with understanding evidence based practice, locating information, and assessing evidence based resources.
Evidence Based Practice>
Overview of Evidence Based
- American Family Physicians EBM Glossary
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Tools for each stem of the EBM Process
- Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP/UK)
- Evidence Based Practice (USC Norris Medical Library)
- Evidence Based Practice (University of Washington)
- UMass Medical School: Evidence-Based Practice
Guidelines and Full Text Reports
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Quality (AHRQ) - EPC Evidence-based Reports
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
- Cochrane Nursing Care Field
- Nursing Best Practices Guidelines (Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario)
- Resources for Evidence Based Practice (McMaster University)
- NICE Pathways (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence)
- Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository
- "A Model to Translate Evidence-Based Interventions Into Community Practice." American Journal of Public Health (April 2012)*
- "Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Throughout a Large Hospital System." PT in Motion (April 2015).*
- "Intersecting Evidence-Based Practice With a Lean Improvement Model." Journal Of Nursing Care Quality (Oct/Dec 2018).*
- "The Intersection of Evidence-Based Practice With 5 Quality Improvement Methodologies." Journal of Nursing Administration (June 2012).*
- "Staff Nurses' Use of Research to Facilitate Evidence-Based Practice." American Journal of Nursing (Sept 2014).*
- "Strategies for teaching evidence-based practice in nursing education: a thematic literature review." BMC Medical Education (July 2018).*
- "Teaching Strategies to Support Evidence-Based Practice." Critical Care Nurse (June 2012)*
- "Turning Knowledge Into Action at the Point-of-Care: The Collective Experience of Nurses Facilitating the Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice" Worldview On Evidence-Based Nursing (August 2013).*
- "Using Evidence-Based Practice to Move Beyond Doing Things the Way We Have Always Done Them." Nephrology Nursing Journal (January-February 2015).*
- "Writing Publishable Review, Research, Quality Improvement, and Evidence-Based Practice Manuscripts." Nursing Economic$ (Nov/Dec2018).*
Databases & Catalogs
- CINAHL (EBSCO)*
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (EBSCO)*
- CoxHealth Libraries Catalog
- Medline (EBSCO)*
- OT Seeker (Occupational Therapy Systematic Evaluation of Evidence) (EBSCO)*
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database)
- PICO Search (EBSCO OneSearch @ CoxHealth Libraries)
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCO)*
- TRIP Database (Turning Research into Practice)
Search Help and Literature Assessment
- CINAHL - Locating Evidence-Based Articles (Video)
Find evidence based nursing and health sciences articles.
- Assessing Literature to Determine Quality
Use this grid to help determine the quality of an article or other scholarly information.
- Evidence Based Limits for CINAHL Publication Types
Suggested CINAHL (nursing and allied health) database limits to retrieve evidence based literature.
- Evidence Based Limits for Medline Publication Types
Suggested Medline database limits to retrieve evidence based literature.
- Limiting a CINAHL Search to Retrieve Evidence Based Articles
Step-by-step directions to limit a CINAHL search to retrieve evidence based articles.
- Limiting a Medline Search to Retrieve Evidence Based Articles
Step-by-step directions to limit a Medline search to retrieve evidence based articles.
*Requires login and password for non-Cox computers. Please contact the CoxHealth Library Services for assistance.
Reviewed: March 2020