Purpose of Research Guide
This research guide has been created to assist with understanding evidence based practice, locating information, and assessing evidence based resources.
Evidence Based Practice
Overview of Evidence Based
- American Family Physicians EBM Glossary
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Tools for each stem of the EBM Process
- Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP/UK)
- Evidence Based Practice (USC Norris Medical Library)
- Evidence Based Practice (University of Washington)
- UMass Medical School: Evidence-Based Practice
Guidelines and Full Text Reports
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Quality (AHRQ) - EPC Evidence-based Reports
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
- Cochrane Nursing Care Field
- Nursing Best Practices Guidelines (Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario)
- Resources for Evidence Based Practice (McMaster University)
- NICE Pathways (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence)
- Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository
- "A Model to Translate Evidence-Based Interventions Into Community Practice." American Journal of Public Health (April 2012)*
- "Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Throughout a Large Hospital System." PT in Motion (April 2015).*
- "Intersecting Evidence-Based Practice With a Lean Improvement Model." Journal Of Nursing Care Quality (Oct/Dec 2018).*
- "The Intersection of Evidence-Based Practice With 5 Quality Improvement Methodologies." Journal of Nursing Administration (June 2012).*
- "Staff Nurses' Use of Research to Facilitate Evidence-Based Practice." American Journal of Nursing (Sept 2014).*
- "Strategies for teaching evidence-based practice in nursing education: a thematic literature review." BMC Medical Education (July 2018).*
- "Teaching Strategies to Support Evidence-Based Practice." Critical Care Nurse (June 2012)*
- "Turning Knowledge Into Action at the Point-of-Care: The Collective Experience of Nurses Facilitating the Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice" Worldview On Evidence-Based Nursing (August 2013).*
- "Using Evidence-Based Practice to Move Beyond Doing Things the Way We Have Always Done Them." Nephrology Nursing Journal (January-February 2015).*
- "Writing Publishable Review, Research, Quality Improvement, and Evidence-Based Practice Manuscripts." Nursing Economic$ (Nov/Dec2018).*
Databases & Catalogs
- CINAHL (EBSCO)*
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (EBSCO)*
- CoxHealth Libraries Catalog
- Medline (EBSCO)*
- OT Seeker (Occupational Therapy Systematic Evaluation of Evidence) (EBSCO)*
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database)
- PICO Search (EBSCO OneSearch @ CoxHealth Libraries)
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCO)*
- TRIP Database (Turning Research into Practice)
Search Help and Literature Assessment
- CINAHL - Locating Evidence-Based Articles (Video)
Find evidence based nursing and health sciences articles.
- Assessing Literature to Determine Quality
Use this grid to help determine the quality of an article or other scholarly information.
- Evidence Based Limits for CINAHL Publication Types
Suggested CINAHL (nursing and allied health) database limits to retrieve evidence based literature.
- Evidence Based Limits for Medline Publication Types
Suggested Medline database limits to retrieve evidence based literature.
- Limiting a CINAHL Search to Retrieve Evidence Based Articles
Step-by-step directions to limit a CINAHL search to retrieve evidence based articles.
- Limiting a Medline Search to Retrieve Evidence Based Articles
Step-by-step directions to limit a Medline search to retrieve evidence based articles.
*Requires login and password for non-Cox computers. Please contact the CoxHealth Libraries for assistance.
Reviewed: November 2019