Heart and Vascular Summit
CoxHealth has been dedicated to saving and improving lives from heart disease for many decades and we are making a difference! With personalized medical care, we can continue to improve the cardiovascular health of individuals and our community. The CoxHealth Heart and Vascular Annual Summit delivers evolving evidence based principles for the best practice management of your cardiovascular patients by bringing together regional partners and engaged stakeholders to explore solutions for managing the rapid changes in healthcare with tips to help your practice achieve optimal recommendations, emerging technologies, and state of the art diagnostic and treatment modalities bridging the gap from Primary Care to Cardiovascular Speciality Care.
This conference is designed to meet the educational needs of the Primary Care providers, Interventional and General Cardiologists, Practice Managers, Nurses, Nurse Practioners, and others who care for patients with cardiovascular disease in an outpatient, hospital, or clinical practice setting.
By attending this activity, participants should be able to integrate some or all of the objectives listed.
Friday, October 2nd:
11:00-12:00 pm: Registration/Lunch/Vendor Displays
12:00-12:15 pm: CoxHealth Introduction-Danny Penick, MD
12:15-1:15 pm: Nephrology Issues in the Cardiac Patient
Speaker: Samir Garcia, MD
- Analyze and apply evidence based information in the cardiac patient.
- Identify the management of cardio renal syndrome.
1:15-1:30 pm: Break/Vendor Displays
1:30-2:30 pm: Overview of Cardio-Oncology and Amyloidosis of the Cardiology Provider
Speaker: Molly Rater, MSN, RN, FNP-BC, CCRN-CMC
- Identify cancer therapies associated with cardiac toxicity and evaluate best practices for managing patients on those therapies.
- Differentiate the two most common forms of amyloidosis and compare the different treatment courses.
2:30-2:45 pm: Break/Vendor Displays
2:45-3:45 pm: Understanding Pulmonary Hypertension
Speaker: Walter Trombold, MD, FCCP
- Identify the classifications of pulmonary hypertension
- Express the importance of the proper diagnosis
- List treatment options for pulmonary hypertension
3:45-4:45 pm: Understanding the Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Syncope
Speaker: John Garner, MD
- Identify the common causes of syncope
- Describe the current and emerging diagnostic and treatment modalities for syncope
4:45-5:00 pm: Evaluation
5:00-5:30 pm: Join us for a cocktail at social hour
Saturday, October 3rd:
7:30-8:00 am: Registration/Breakfast/Vendor Displays
8:00-9:00 am: Quality and Risk
Speaker: Amanda Hedgpeth, BS
- Describe federal quality incentive and risk programs
- Evaluate how CoxHealth’s numbers compare nation-wide
9:00-9:15 am: Break/Vendor Displays
9:15-10:30 am: Speaker Panel
Speakers: Jeff Hawkins, MHA, BSN, RN, CENP, Amanda Hedgpeth, BS, Donna Vale, RN, CCDS
- Describe and evaluate the key quality roles for providers and others that drive quality outcomes.
10:30-10:45 am: Break/Vendor Displays
10:45-11:45 pm: CREST II
Speakers: Randall Mullins, MD, Zak Schmittling, MD, Robert Vorhies, MD
- Describe the Contemporary treatment of cerebrovascular disease in 2020
- Define the outcomes of the CREST Trial
- List the objectives of the CREST II Trial
11:45-12:00 pm: Questions/Answers/Evaluations/Statements of Credits/Ajourn
We reserve the right to substitute speakers and topics in the event of emergency or cancellation. Information presented during this conference represents the views and opinions of the presenters and does not necessarily constitute the opinion, endorsement of, or promotion by CoxHealth. Presenters are responsible for obtaining all copyright permissions.
No off-label medications or medical devices will be discussed.
CoxHealth is accredited by the Missouri State Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians. CoxHealth designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Cox Education Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Midwest Multistate Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. There will be 7.75 contact hours. Day 1 will be 4.25, Day 2 will be 3.50
CoxHealth has approved this program for 7.5 STEMI contact hours for CoxHealth physicians and employees. Day 1 is 4.0 hours and Day 2 is 3.5 hours.
CoxHealth is pending for ASRT (Radiology) credits. Day 1 is ___ credit hours Day 2 is ____ credit hours.
For questions regarding educational credit please contact Lisa Boyer, RN, BSN, Enterprise Educator, CoxHealth 417-269-4124 or Lisa.email@example.com
Accreditation approval only refers to this educational activity and does not imply endorsement of any commercial products by CoxHealth or any other proprietary entity producing health care goods or services.
Requirements for Successful Completion:
• Sign in at the registration desk.
• Complete your online evaluation form each day (you have up to 2 weeks to complete)
• Attendance of entire day
On Line evaluations and certificate of attendances:
• At the completion of your on line evaluation your certificate of credit will email to you.
• Physicians will receive their certificate of attendance from Triesa Massey via email in approximately 6 weeks
• Radiology certificates of attendance will be emailed by Lisa Boyer after completion of your evaluation in approximately 2-3 weeks after you complete your evaluation
Americans with Disabilities Act: If you have special needs addressed by this act, please notify us at least two weeks before this offering so that reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Note: Please bring a sweater or jacket due to variations in temperature and personal preferences.
Dr. John Garner is board certified in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology practicing at Ferrell-Duncan Clinic. He completed his medical degree at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. His internal medicine internship and residency were completed at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Garner completed his cardiovascular fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas and his EP fellowship at Indiana University School of Medicine
Jeff Hawkins is Vice-President of Clinical Services at CoxHealth. He completed his Masters in Healthcare Administration at Webster University. He completed his nursing degree at St Johns School of Nursing and is a Certified Executive in Nurse Practice
Amanda Hedgpeth is Vice President of Hospital Operations. She holds a Bachelor of Science in accounting from Missouri State University and a Master of Business Administration from Missouri State University.
Dr. Randy Mullins is board certified in general and vascular surgery practicing at Ferrell-Duncan Clinic. He completed his medical degree and his residency at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. He completed his fellowship at the Mayo Clinic for vascular surgery and the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Adelaide Australia for Endovascular Surgery.
Molly Rater is a Nurse Practitioner for Cardio-Oncology at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri. She is a graduate from the University of Missouri. Ms Rater has participated in many research studies and is current in LVAD certification.
Dr. Zak Schmittling is board certified in surgery and vascular surgery practicing at Ferrell-Duncan Clinic. He earned his medical degree at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. He completed his Residency and Internship at Baylor College of Medicine and his Fellowship at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
Dr. Steve Trombold is currently a Physician for CoxHealth. .He completed his medical degree at University of Kansas Medical Center, and his Fellowship at the University of Utah with a specialty in Pulmonary and Critical Care. Dr Trombold is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Donna Vale is the Supervisor for Clinical Documentation Improvement at CoxHealth. She completed her Nursing degree at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio.
Dr. Robert Vorhies is board certified in vascular and endovascular surgery practicing at Ferrell-Duncan Clinic. He completed his Residency at University of Kansas at Wichita. He was selected to the Society of Vascular Surgery.
Dr. Vorhies, has indicated he has an affiliation with the following companies by way of Medical Faculty consultant only (there were no immediate family conflicts noted): Cardiovascular systems INC Dr. Vorhies has indicated he does not intend to discuss any uses of pharmaceutical products or medical devices not approved by the FDA. He will give a balanced view of therapeutic options, and will use generic names to contribute to impartiality during the planning process. Potential conflicts have been reviewed and there were no conflicts identified that would exclude him.
Lisa Boyer, RN, BSN
- Enterprise Educator, Education Center, CoxHealth
- Physicians Relations Manager, CoxHealth Business Connections
Leah Cook, RN, BSN, BS, CCRN
- STEMI Program Coordinator, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Services
Shelly Elliott, BS
- Vein Center Coordinator, CoxHealth
Julia Flax, MD
- Physician Coordinator, AAFP Credit Planner, Regional Service, CoxHealth
Tina Johnson, RN-BC, BSN
- STEMI RN Clinician, Cardiovascular Services
Bo Kim, RCCS, RCS
- Cardiovascular Services Coordinator, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Services
Triesa Massey, MHA
- Medical Staff Education Coordinator, CoxHealth Medical Staff
Kathryn Pallister, RN, BSN, CCRN
- Nurse Manager, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Services
Danny Penick, MD
- Physician Planner, Medical Director Cardiovascular Service, Ferrell Duncan Clinic
Chris Schulze, RN, BSN
- Director of Clinical Research, CoxHealth Center for Research and Innovation
Leonard Shepard, RN, BSN, CCRN-K
- Nurse Manager CCL.CVO.EP, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Services
Ray Walden, RN
- Cardiovascular Services Nurse Educator, CoxHealth Nursing Education
Becky Watts, RN, BSN, MHA
- Administrative Director, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Service
Bryan Williams, MHA, RT(R), RDMS, RVT, RDCS
- Cardiovascular OP Assistant Director, CoxHealth Cardiovascular Services
All planning committee members listed with the exception of those below have indicated they (or their immediate family members) do not have any conflicts of interest or significant financial affiliations with any pharmaceutical or medical device companies that would exclude them from the planning of this activity. Planning committee members and speakers have created this activity without bias or influence from all external commercial entities. There were no conflicts identified that would exclude them from the planning process.
Planning committee member, Lisa, Boyer, RN, has indicated she is a stockholder in the following companies: Express Scripts, Aurinia Pharmaceuticals, Procter & Gamble, Pfizer, Glaxo Smith Kline, Novartis, & Portola. She has indicated that she does not intend to discuss any uses of pharmaceutical products or medical devices not approved by the FDA. Mrs. Boyer also indicated she would give a balanced view of therapeutic options, and will use generic names to contribute to impartiality during the planning process. There was no conflict identified that would exclude her from the planning process.