Mercy and CoxHealth team up for Medical Mile walk and dedication
Move It on the Mile
For immediate release
Aug. 15, 2013
Springfield’s largest health care providers are hoping you’ll lace up your walking shoes and get outside for a free family event.
On Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. CoxHealth and Mercy will host the Medical Mile Kick-Off Walk and Dedication. The event is designed to get everyone familiar with the Medical Mile Trail, which runs along National Avenue and connects Mercy to the north with CoxHealth to the south.
Participants can begin the walk at either hospital. It ends at the field located at the southwest corner of National and Montclair, where families can play games, watch a butterfly release, see cooking demonstrations by chefs from both hospitals and shop at a small farmers’ market. Local restaurants near the trail are also getting involved by offering discounts to those who attend the event.
The vision for the Medical Mile Trail began about five years ago, when community leaders, local businesses and the two hospitals began planning for a safe trail that would encourage walking, running and cycling for better health. The trail winds past McDaniel Park and the South Creek Greenway trailhead, linking the Medical Mile to an even larger trail system. The entire community is invited to this free event.
- Participants can start at either CoxHealth (National and Primrose) or Mercy (National and Cherokee).
- The dedication ceremony will be at National and Montclair when the walk ends and includes singers from Immaculate Conception School, Springfield Mayor Bob Stephens and representatives from both health systems.
- Family fun! The event includes performances, games, demonstrations and samples from hospital chefs and a butterfly release. It all wraps up about 11:30 a.m. There will be limited shuttle service available to help participants get back to Mercy.
- Participate in a butterfly release! Sign up at www.medmile.com. Butterfly quantities are limited.
- Receive discounts on healthy menu items at participating restaurants on or near the Medical Mile the day of the event. Participants include:
Big Fat Burritos
3354 S. National
D’Arpino’s Italian Café
3014 S. National
Einstein Bros. Bagels
1933 S. National
4440 S. Campbell
Mr. Goodcents Subs and Pasta
3342 S. National
Muscle Maker Grill
900 E. Battlefield, Suite 128
Nonna’s Italian Café
3512 S. National
1670 E. Battlefield
3302 S. National, Suite F
Which Wich Sandwiches
1155 E. Battlefield
CoxHealth Corporate Communications
Phone: 417-269-4113 | Fax: 417-269-5750
After business hours: 417-269-3211