If your physician has instructed you to use a holding chamber or reservoir device for your metered inhaler, follow these usage instructions.
- Shake the MDI canister and remove the cap.
- Remove the cap from the spacer.
- Insert the MDI into the spacer.
- Do a relaxed exhalation.
- Insert the spacer mouthpiece into the mouth.
- Push down on the canister once to dispense medication.
- Immediately after the canister is fired, breathe in slowly and maximally from the spacer for about 4 seconds. For patients unable to take a deep breath or hold their breath, taking 2-3 normal breaths in adults or 5-7 normal breaths in children is an acceptable alternative.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds or as long as possible. Exhale.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Repeat these steps for each puff prescribed.
- Rinse mouth thoroughly after use of inhaled glucocorticosteroids.